The Victorian Government provides operational funding to independent medical research institutes that conduct fundamental or clinical biomedical research as their main focus.
The Operational Infrastructure Support Program provides essential funding to eligible organisations for indirect research costs that are not met by competitive grants, including:
- administrative and management functions (for example, human resources and finance)
- intellectual property and commercialisation management
- facilities and support services
- equipment maintenance and maintenance of specialised premises.
Allocation of funding is performance-based and tied to the quantum of research funding investment attracted into Victoria.
To be eligible an organisation must:
- be an independent, Victoria-based medical research institute
- demonstrate legal and financial independence
- undertake fundamental or clinical biomedical research as its primary function.
As a general principle, research departments of hospitals, universities and fund-raising organisations are not eligible.