Victoria has a world leading health system, with much to offer. To ensure we capitalise on growing opportunities in health exports and investments, the Government has released Victoria's International Health Strategy 2016 – 2020: Partnering for a healthy and prosperous future.
The Strategy is a companion document to Victoria's Health and Medical Research Strategy 2016-20 which was launched on 12 July 2016, and is designed to create significant economic benefits through global leadership in healthcare, health education, aged care, and health and medical research.
The strategy will focus on practical actions to improve the capabilities and competitiveness of health organisations, and make it simpler for international partners to work with the Victorian health sector.
The Strategy includes three key areas:
- International engagement to promote the Victorian health system, (including aged care, health education and biomedical science sectors) to international markets, strengthen ties with established partners and build new links.
- Industry development to develop new sources of revenue for health services through raising awareness of international opportunities and building Victoria's capability to respond.
- Knowledge transfer and innovation to encourage service delivery and research partnerships.
The Victorian Government is working with Victorian providers to be at the forefront of this unique opportunity for health related industries. A more coordinated approach will strengthen our position in what is a highly competitive market.
All health services will be offered the opportunity to participate via membership of one or more industry networks. Networks will coordinate international activity in the relevant specialty area (education and workforce, health system design and delivery, senior living and aged care, and health and medical research).
Initial actions of the Strategy include the staged creation of four health industry networks to connect international demand with Victorian organisations, in the following key areas of capability:
- Education and Workforce
- Health System Design and Delivery
- Health and Medical Research
- Senior Living and Aged Care
The networks will be supported to work together and form a coordinated critical mass, promoting better linkages between smaller and larger companies, including experienced importers, and providing a single mechanism through which to connect Victorian organisations with international opportunities.
To express interest in becoming involved in activities under the Strategy, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Innovation, Industry and International Health (03) 9096 0334.