This guide has been produced to assist in the management and control of outbreaks of gastroenteritis (gastro) in aged care, special accommodation, hospitals and other residential care facilities such as supported residential services (SRS) and disability group homes.
If you suspect you have a gastro outbreak, the first step is to notify the department on 1300 651 160 and then follow the cleaning and control measures in this industry guide.
The contents of the industry guide for care facilities include:
2. What should happen in the event of a gastroenteritis outbreak?
3. Infection prevention and control measures
4. Case lists
5. Faecal specimen collection
6. Declaring an outbreak over
7. Additional control measures for suspected food or water borne outbreaks
9. Staff education and training
Documents to be included in this page with appendices and questionnaires:
• Industry guide for care facilities
• Appendix 1A – Chlorine dilutions quick guide
• Appendix 1B – Environmental cleaning quick guide
• Appendix 4 Outbreak case list for care facilities
• Appendix 5 Signage – Care facilities visitors and staff