The Department of Health and Human Services Elective surgery access policy provides guidance to managers, administrative and clinical staff of Victoria's public hospital and health services who provide elective surgery by:
- supporting active management of elective surgery patients
- supporting best practice in elective surgery management
- articulating the rights and responsibilities of health services, referring specialist medical practitioners and patients
- improving communication among patients, health services, referring specialist medical practitioners, general practitioners and community providers
- supporting meaningful reporting to the public by health services and the government
- providing scope and authority for local policy and procedure development.
The 2015 edition of the policy builds on previous versions and incorporates feedback and suggestions from health services and stakeholders to strengthen the policy.