The Capability framework for renal services (the framework) will help facilitate the development of a more locally based and integrated, coordinated renal service system based on the following principles:
- increased differentiation in the service system
- service delivery is focused on the continuum of care
- building greater regional self sufficiency
- centralising transplant centres
- increased services providing training in home dialysis
- improved patient flow within subregions to reduce geographical distance.