Windows bring natural light and the outside world inside.
- Design windows to maximise natural light intensity at floor level while minimising shadows and glare.
- Install a light shelf, a horizontal surface at 90 degrees to the window glass, to bring daylight in and reduce glare.
- Include skylights and clerestories to reduce glare.
- Use glazing options to moderate heat, noting that installation costs are offset by the benefits of reduced heating and cooling costs.
- Use glazing options to moderate noise.
- Think about height and depth of windowsills. Can people see out the window when sitting?
- Design windows with wide sills for window seats and extra storage.
- Put windows where they can provide views of trees, bird life, gardens and distant vistas.
- Design for a lot of natural light in the main shared areas.