Eligibility for HACC Program for Younger People services

The Home and Community Care Program for Younger People provides support for younger people with disabilities whose capacity for independent living is at risk.

Services are targeted to younger people with moderate, severe or profound disabilities and their unpaid carers. Not everyone who is eligible can receive an immediate service. Service providers use priority access guidelines (available in the Victorian Home and Community Care program manual 2013) to manage demand for services.

Types of service

The main types of HACC service are:

  • domestic assistance
  • personal care
  • nursing
  • allied health services (such as physiotherapy, podiatry and dietetics)
  • food services (delivered meals and centre-based meals)
  • planned activity groups
  • property maintenance
  • respite services
  • friendly visiting
  • respite and transport services provided by volunteers.

The Victorian Home and Community Care program manual 2013 describes these services in detail.

Accessing services

Enquiries about HACC Program for Younger People services can be made at any of the 385 service providers located across Victoria. A good starting point is local councils.

Your local Department of Health & Human Services divisional offices can also assist you with information about the program and services in your area as well as information about funding arrangements and the complaints management procedures. The department does not directly provide services or assess people for eligibility. The contact phone numbers for these offices are below:

  • East Division Health: (03) 9843 1710
  • North Division Health: (03) 9412 5403
  • South Division Health: (03) 8765 7548
  • West Division Health: (03) 5333 6011

The following organisations offer HACC Program for Younger People services and can answer queries about the program:

  • Local councils are major providers of services throughout Victoria. Most councils provide a comprehensive needs assessment and can arrange referrals if needed.
  • Community health centres provide physiotherapy, podiatry and other allied health services. The Community Health Directory has details about finding a person’s nearest community health centre.
  • The Royal District Nursing Service is the main provider of home nursing in metropolitan Melbourne.
  • In regional Victoria, the local hospital or community health centre is generally a provider of home nursing. The department's divisional office has contact information for these providers.
  • Organisations that provide services specifically for Aboriginal people, and people with culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, provide some HACC Program for Younger People services and can offer referrals for other service types. The department's divisional offices have contact information for these organisations.