SRS proprietors are responsible for ensuring the safety and wellbeing of residents.
Developing an emergency management plan is part of providing a safe working and living environment. Australian Standard 3745 sets out requirements for the controlled evacuation of buildings, structures and workplaces during emergencies. It also establishes guidelines.
SRS proprietors have fire safety obligations under the Building Act 1993 and Building Regulations 2006. Further, under the Victorian Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004, employers must provide and maintain a safe workplace.
The following resources provide important information about all hazards that could impact an SRS, including building fires, bushfires, medical emergencies, power outages, heatwaves and floods. They help SRS proprietors meet their legal obligations for fire safety, emergency management and building emergency response capacity:
- an emergency management planning guide with sample emergency management plan
- a blank emergency management plan for SRS
- SRS Emergency Response Training DVD (extra copies are available from authorised officers)
- emergency response quiz for staff to complete after watching the DVD
- the answer key to the emergency response staff quiz (available from authorised officers).