Key messages

Aged Care Assessment Services (ACAS)

Call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422


Support services for people with an acquired brain injury, particularly alcohol and other drug related brain injury.

27 Hope Street, Brunswick, Vic, 3056

Call (03) 8388 1222



Disability, sickness and carer payments: call 132 717

Aged pension and other payments for older adults: call 132 300

Community Connections Program (CCP)

Support for people who are homeless, at risk of homelessness or living in low-cost accommodation, including pension-level SRS, to help them access appropriate services.

Community health services

Services such as social work and counselling, podiatry, community nursing, physiotherapy and occupational therapy.

Find your nearest community health centre on the Human Services Directory or in your Yellow Pages telephone directory under ‘community health’.

Community Visitors Program (Office of the Public Advocate)

Volunteer community visitors who are appointed under the Supported Residential Services (Private Proprietors) Act 2010 to query the standard of SRS facilities and care provided to residents, and to receive and follow up residents’ complaints.

Level 1, 204 Lygon Street, Carlton 3053

Call 1300 309 337 (local call)

Council on the Ageing (COTA)

Not-for-profit older persons' consumer organisation.

Call 1300 13 50 90


Dental Health Services Hotline

Information on your closest public dental clinic.

Call 1300 360 054

Disability Intake and Response Service

Information about community supports and services for people with a disability, their carers and families.

Call 1800 783 783

Guardianship List at Victorian Civil and Administrative Appeals Tribunal (VCAT)

Protection for persons aged 18 years or over who, as result of a disability, are unable to make reasonable decisions about their person or circumstances, or their financial and legal affairs.

55 King Street Melbourne 3000

Call (03) 9628 9911 or 1300 079 413 (country callers only)


Consumer organisation for people with an acquired brain injury.

212 King Street, Melbourne 3000

Call (03) 9482 2955

Health Complaints Commissioner

Help for consumers who have a problem with a health service or concerns about their health privacy.

570 Bourke Street, Melbourne 3000

Call 1300 582 113

Housing for the Aged Action Group (HAAG)

Free, confidential advice to older people who are renting.

Call (03) 9654 7389

Mental health services

There are two types of mental health services. Clinical services provide acute hospital services, clinical case management, mobile support and treatment team, crisis assessment and specialist mental health services for older adults.

Neighbourhood houses

A range of recreational, social support and adult learning programs.

Call (03) 9654 1104

Nurse on call

Health advice 24 hours a day, for the cost of a local call from anywhere in Victoria (calls from mobile phones may be charged at a higher rate).

Call 1300 60 60 24

State Trustees

Trustee, executor, and personal financial administration products and services, in conjunction with the Victorian Government’s wholly owned subsidiary, STL Financial Services.

168 Exhibition Street, Melbourne

Call (03) 9667 6444 or 1300 138 672 (outside metro areas)

Veterans' Affairs

Pensions, benefits and health services for veterans and widows/widowers.

Call 133 254 (metro) or 1800 555 254 (country)

Psychiatric Disability Services of Victoria (VICSERV)

Peak body representing community managed mental health services in Victoria.

Call (03) 9519 7000

Victorian Advocacy League for Individuals with a Disability (VALID)

Disability advocacy organisation for people with an intellectual disability.

235 Napier Street, Fitzroy 3065

Call (03) 9416 4003 or 1800 655 570 (country callers)

Victorian Mental Illness Awareness Council (VMIAC)

Consumer/advocacy group for people with mental health problems.

Call (03) 9380 3900

Download the discussion paper