Medically supervised injecting room trial overview
The Victorian Government is trialling a medically supervised injecting room at the North Richmond Community Health site in North Richmond, Melbourne.
The trial began on 30 June 2018, and will take place for an initial two year period with the option to extend the trial for a further three years. Further details about the trial can be found at the medically supervised injecting room page.
Review of the medically supervised injecting room
Under s.55P(1) of the Drugs, Poisons and Controlled Substances Act 1981 (the Act), the Minister for Mental Health must arrange for an independent review to be conducted. A Medically Supervised Injecting Room Review Panel (the Panel) has been appointed by the Minister for Mental Health to conduct the review.
Role of the Panel
The Terms of Reference for the Panel can be found here.
Under the Terms of Reference, the Panel will oversee the conduct of a review as outlined in the Act, including:
- the operation and use of the licensed medically supervised injecting room
- the extent to which the object outlined in Part IIA of the Act has been advanced during the period of the medically supervised injecting room licence
- how Part IIA and any regulations made for the purposes of this Part of the Act have operated and whether they require amendment.
Specifically, the responsibilities of the Panel are to:
- develop, with the Department of Health and Human Services, the review scope, structure (including any preliminary or interim reports) and data and evidence collection requirements
- review data and evidence to closely monitor the objects of the Act
- provide the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services with a draft copy of the review, to inform a decision on whether the trial should be extended
- provide an endorsed review to the Minister for Mental Health prior to the completion of the two year trial, meeting the requirements outlined above.
The review will be tabled before each House of the Parliament.
Panel members are:
- Professor Margaret Hamilton AO (Chair)
- Mr John Ryan
- Mr Ken Lay AO APM.