The Victorian Government is committed to improving end of life and palliative care for all Victorians, and has released a new end-of-life and palliative care framework. The framework redefines end-of-life care and guides improvements for providers across all sectors, as we redesign our services to be responsive and effective.
The framework sets out a foundation for end of life and palliative care by:
- providing clear expectations about how end-of-life and palliative care will be delivered
- guiding healthcare, human services, social and community sector practices
- identifying actions to ensure end of life and palliative care services are sustainable
- ensuring Victorians are provided with safe and effective end-of-life care.
All Victorians and their families receive the best possible end of life care that places them at the centre where preferences, values, dignity and comfort are respected and quality of life matters most.
To achieve this vision, the government has developed the following goals in consultation with community and expert representatives:
- People experience optimal end of life care.
- People’s pain and symptoms are managed using quality interventions.
- People’s preferences and values are recognised and respected in their end-of-life care.
- Carers are better supported.
- People are cared for in their place of choice.
- Where possible, people can choose to die in their place of choice.
The Department of Health and Human Services will work with communities and services to deliver the right care at the right time and in the right place by:
- focusing on people and outcomes
- enabling local solutions
- equipping the service system to deliver earlier and more connected support
- ensuring safety, quality assurance and innovation
- using data and evidence for service development and monitoring.
Supporting our journey
This artwork titled Supporting our journey ‘symbolises the strong support given by family and community, helping us through our journey that we are travelling. The lines symbolise our path as well as the journey of others. The dots represent the many people who help us or who are on the same path.‘
Kahli Luttrell, Yorta Yorta descendent and artist.
Victoria’s end of life and palliative care framework – consumer version summary
A summary of the framework is available for consumers in English and Arabic, Croatian, Greek, Italian, Macedonian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish and Vietnamese. There is also a summary for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
These are available at Information for people, families and carers.
Framework implementation update
The Communique is a high level overview of the work in progress under the five framework priorities.
Monitoring and evaluation strategy update
The monitoring and evaluation strategy update is a high level overview of the approach to monitoring and evaluation of Victoria's end of life and palliative care framework, to improve people's care experience and outcomes.
Palliative care service delivery framework
The draft Palliative care service delivery framework articulates how services should be distributed across metropolitan and regional Victoria, and identifies service expectations.
The framework is currently being reviewed by the Department of Health and Human Services.