A national professional certification scheme for the medical laboratory science profession in Australia has come into effect. The Australian Council for Certification of the Medical Laboratory Scientific Workforce (ACCMLSW) is a newly created not for profit company established to administer the voluntary certification scheme.
Join before the end of 2020 to receive a 10% discount on the normal application fee, see the ACCMLSW .
You will need to upload
- A certificate of primary qualification
- Continuing professional development (CPD) record – PDF copy of the most recent CPD certificate or an outline of CPD activities in the previous 2 years
- Declaration of competency assessment and experience (downloadable from the website) signed by your employer.
Why become certified?
- This can be seen as a first step towards mandatory certification which would ensure only high calibre practitioners are employed in our laboratories, demanding recognition of our professional standing as part of Australia’s health service workforce.
- Certification will be the best benchmark available to assure competent professional practice.
- With a certified workforce there will be more obligation on the employer to ensure staff have professional development opportunities afforded to them.
- As a nationally certified laboratory scientist you can demonstrate your ongoing commitment to professional development and self-improvement and be recognised as passionate, progressive and pro-active.
Blood Matters is committed to providing support and education to assist in the early stages of this scheme, if you require any assistance or have any questions feel free to contact Rae French at RFrench@redcrossblood.org.au or by phone on 03 9694 3524.