A compensable patient is a person who in respect of an injury or disease:
- is entitled to claim damages or compensation under motor vehicle third-party insurance (in Victoria, the Transport Accident Commission)
- is entitled to claim damages or compensation under worker's compensation (in Victoria, WorkSafe)
- has an entitlement to claim under public liability or common law damages
- is an eligible Department of Veterans' Affairs patient
- is another compensable patient – for example, armed forces personnel and seamen with direct billing arrangements.
Compensable patients policy: principles for public hospitals