The Victorian Government has established the Regional Health Infrastructure Fund as part of its commitment to better health for people in rural and regional Victoria. The May 2018 Victorian State Budget allocated an additional $50 for Round 3 Regional Health Infrastructure Fund (2018-19). This allocating brings the total Regional Health Infrastructure Fund to $250 million.
Round 1 allocated $134 million across 93 projects
Round 2 allocated $60 million across 80 projects
Grants are available for:
- Construction, remodelling and refurbishment projects
- Equipment including: standalone furniture, fittings, medical equipment, engineering infrastructure and plant
- Information and communications technology
- New technologies including systems to reduce usage and increase efficiencies of power and/or water
Applications for Round 3 open on Monday, 18th June 2018.
Applications for Round 3 funding close on Monday, 16 July 2018. And be limited to two (2) submissions per health service.
Applications should be lodged through the Smartygrants website:
How will this money be allocated?
The Department of Health and Human Services will administer the fund through a grant based submission process. The first round was delivered in 2016-17 and the second round 2107-18. Round 3 will comprise a mixture of direct allocation and submission bid-based processes, the allocation process will make a number of direct allocations to prioritised critical infrastructure replacement, small medical equipment and business continuity priorities that are 'project ready' that were unsuccessfully submitted for previous rounds.
Priority will be given to applications that address:
- demand pressures from increasing population and/or changing age profile
- need for buildings to be fit for purpose - moving from low-care to high-care residential aged services
- need for major refurbishment / repairs / replacement of ageing buildings and equipment
- safety and quality of services including compliance with regulatory requirements and reduction of clinical risk.
Assessment of applications
Applications will be assessed on how well the proposed works meet the government's objectives of better health for people in regional and rural Victoria. Applications should demonstrate:
- how the proposed changes will improve health services for people in rural and regional Victoria
- alignment with the government's commitments and policies, for example, the 10-year mental health plan
- an evidence base for the request, for example, incident data, trends supporting the issue.
The Department of Health and Human Services has provided supporting documentation to help health services with their application:
- Regional Health Infrastructure Fund Guidelines
- Regional Health Infrastructure Fund Frequently asked questions - available to download from this page
- List of eligible agencies
- A list of projects funded through Rounds One and Two- available to download from this page.
Queries can be directed to Joanne Burns on 9096 2644 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.