The Victorian Perinatal Data Collection (VPDC) is a population-based surveillance system that collects and analyses comprehensive information on the health of mothers and babies, in order to contribute to improvements in their health.
The VPDC contains information on obstetric conditions, procedures and outcomes, neonatal morbidity and congenital anomalies relating to every birth in Victoria. The definition of a birth for this purpose is any birth or stillbirth that is required to be registered under the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act 1996.
Birth data reported to the VPDC cover more than 140 data items, which comply with the National Perinatal Minimum Data Set and are sent to AHW for the production of its annual report on Australia's mothers and babies.
The VPDC manual is being updated to incorporate the changes identified in the Specification for revisions to the VPDC for 1.1.2020, the Addendum and Errata to Specifications for revisions to the VPDC for 1.1.2020, and Errata, released previously.
To access the VPDC manual applicable for 2020, see 2020 VPDC manual on this page.
To access the Specifications for revisions to the VPDC for 1.1.2020 and related documents, see 2020 VPDC Annual changes documents on this page.
Proposals for changes to the VPDC from 1.1.2021 are invited, by completing the Proposals proforma and returning it before midnight on Sunday 9 February 2020.
For 2020, there are seven new fields in the VPDC collection:
- Blood loss assessment – indicator
- Cord complications
- Diabetes mellitus during pregnancy – type
- Diabetes mellitus – gestational – diagnosis timing
- Diabetes mellitus – pre-existing – diagnosis timing
- Diabetes mellitus therapy during pregnancy
- Main reason for excessive blood loss following childbirth
Other changes for 2020 include revisions to:
- Blood loss (ml)
- Indication for induction (main reason) – ICD-10-AM code
- Indications for induction (other) – free text
- Time of onset of labour
- Move to 11th edition ICD-10-AM/ACHI codes for nine coded fields
- Transaction Type flag