Emergency departments provide treatment for people across a spectrum of mental health and behavioural problems, including people who:
- are registered mental health patients
- require general medical treatment but have a psychiatric comorbidity
- are having their first psychiatric presentation, including drug-induced psychosis
- present with a situational crisis
- have drug and alcohol issues
- need emergency mental health treatment.
There are principles of care, guidelines for service delivery as well as for triage and clinical care, for mental health care provided in emergency departments in Victorian health services.