People with mental illness and their families and carers can get help to advocate for their rights from a range of individuals organisations:
- independent mental health advocates
- the Community Visitors Program
- Victoria Legal Aid
- the Office of the Public Advocate
- the Victorian Mental Illness Awareness Council (VMIAC)
- Tandem Inc, the peak body for families and carers.
Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA) is a new statewide advocacy service for people receiving compulsory treatment under Victoria's Mental Health Act 2014. IMHA helps people to have a say in decisions relating to mental health assessment, treatment and recovery.