Class A cemetery trust appointments
Under s. 6A and schedule 1A of the Cemeteries and Crematoria Act 2003 (the Act), Class A cemetery trust members are appointed by the Governor in Council on the recommendation of the department’s Minister.
There must not be fewer than six or more than nine Class A trust members.
Appointments are made in accordance with the Appointment and Remuneration issued by the Department of Premier and Cabinet.
Class A terms of appointment
Under clause 1 of schedule 1A of the Act, Class A trust members hold office for a period not exceeding 3 years and are eligible to apply for reappointment.
Class A appointment process
The department manages the appointment process for Class A cemetery trusts and based on the appointment expiry dates of existing trust members. The department will notify trusts when a scheduled appointment round is due to commence.
The appointment process for Class A trusts is as follows:
- The department will initiate an appointment round for Class A trust member and/or chairperson positions.
- The department will consult with the Office for Women, Aboriginal Victoria, Multicultural Affairs and Social Cohesion Division and the Office for Disability to seek their input in the recruitment planning process
- All Class A trust vacancies will be advertised on the Get on Board and in relevant regional newspapers.
- All applications must be submitted via the Get on Board website. Application requirements are explained in the applicant guidelines which are available for download
- Applications will be assessed against key selection criteria and a skills-based matrix designed to ensure each trust has the appropriate mix of skills and expertise necessary to govern the trust effectively
- Short-listed candidates will be interviewed by a selection panel and considered for appointment by the Minister, Cabinet and the Governor in Council
Class A trust member remuneration
Under clause 5 of schedule 1A of the Act, each Class A trust member is eligible for remuneration. Current remuneration rates are published in the applicant guidelines which are available for download.
Class A trust member resignations
Under clause 3 of schedule 1A of the Act, a trust member may resign from their position by means of a letter of resignation, which should be addressed to the Minister, care of Cemetery Sector Governance Support.
On the recommendation of the Minister, the Governor in Council may – at any time – remove a trust member from office. However, this will only occur in exceptional circumstances.