Victoria has a proud tradition of caring for its forebears in a system of public cemeteries. The Cemeteries and Crematoria Act 2003 (the Act), which commenced on 1 July 2005, governs the operations of Victoria’s cemetery and crematoria sector. The Act replaced the Cemeteries Act 1958.
The Act is available on the Victorian Legislation website.
Forthcoming changes to the Act
The Cemeteries and Crematoria Amendment Act 2021 (the Amendment Act) was passed by both houses of Parliament and received Royal Assent on 18 May 2021.
The Amendment Act will commence in two stages as follows:
- Parts 1, 2 and 4 which give effect to the new Secretary’s directions power will commence on 15 November 2021. The new discretionary power enables the department’s Secretary to direct the variation or surrender of a right of interment to protect people directly affected by an indictable offence or a death in circumstances including murder-suicide, from further harm, pain or suffering that may occur if a right of interment were exercised by or in favour of an offender or a deceased person responsible for causing a death.
- Part 3 which includes other miscellaneous and technical amendments will commence next year on 1 March 2022. These other amendments will clarify ambiguity and update references to improve the administration and sector’s understanding of the Act.
The Amendment Act and Explanatory Memorandum are available on the Victorian Legislation website.
For further information please contact the Cemetery Sector Governance Support Unit on 1800 034 280 or email email@example.com.
Changes made to the Act in 2009
The Cemeteries and Crematoria Amendment Bill 2009 made amendments to the Act to ensure cemetery and crematoria services in Victoria are well placed to meet the needs of our communities and future generations by:
- improving the governance and accountability of cemetery trusts, focusing especially on the large entities that report to parliament under the Financial Management Act 1994
- introducing Class A and Class B cemetery trusts
- introducing the annual cemetery levy payable by Class A cemetery trusts
- making some housekeeping changes to improve the administration of the Act.