The legislative requirements for possession, prescribing, supply and use of Schedule 4 and Schedule 8 medicines for registered health practitioners are defined by the Drugs, Poisons and Controlled Substances Act 1981 and the Drugs, Poisons and Controlled Substances Regulations 2017.
The health practitioners covered in this section include:
- Medical practitioners
- Nurses, midwives, nurse practitioners and other endorsed nurses
- Dentists, dental hygienists, dental therapists and oral health therapists
- Optometrists, authorised optometrists and orthoptists
- Podiatrists and authorised podiatrists
- Veterinary practitioners.
Practitioners may have different legislative requirements and responsibilities, and different lists of approved medicines, depending on their profession and scope of practice.