The Drugs, Poisons and Controlled Substances Amendment (Real-time Prescription Monitoring) Regulations 2018 have been made and will come into effect on 2 July 2018.
The regulations prescribe certain matters needed to implement an effective real-time prescription monitoring system in Victoria. These include:
- who is required to provide records to SafeScript
- what the records must contain
- which medicines are monitored in SafeScript
- the exceptions to the requirement to check SafeScript when use of the system becomes mandatory
- requirement to record the patient date of birth when prescribing or dispensing a medicine that is monitored in SafeScript.
Public consultation on the SafeScript regulations took place in February this year. Thank you to the organisations and members of the general public who provided a submission on the regulations. All submissions were considered in the making of the regulations.
A summary of the public submissions and the Department of Health and Human Services’ responses to the submissions are available on the links below.