Influenza can seriously affect your workplace. Workers with influenza take an average of 2 weeks to recover. Because people can be contagious before any symptoms show, it is easy to spread influenza.
Influenza is not the same as a cold. It is estimated that 3,500 Australians die each year from the complications of influenza, including pneumonia, so it makes sense to protect your staff and the people in their care.
The department encourages all workplaces to take influenza seriously and offer free workplace vaccinations to staff.
This section provides the information you need to arrange and promote a workplace vaccination program, including:
- tips for providing a successful workplace influenza vaccination program
- workplace vaccination provider checklist
- influenza – facts for staff.
In addition, you can download and:
- use the sample email or newsletter text and the influenza vaccination poster template to promote your workplace influenza vaccination program
- print the posters on hand hygiene, and covering coughs and sneezes
- print the ‘Congratulations on getting your flu shot’ resource to give to staff after their vaccination – it includes tips on convincing friends and colleagues to get vaccinated.
These resources can be used whether you offer a clinic in your office or a mobile clinic to reach workers off-site, or arrange vaccinations for staff at your local general practice.