Here are some of the ways you can help parents/carers obtain documentation. 

Provide advice on obtaining an AIR Immunisation History Statement

Parents/carers can get a copy of their child’s Immunisation History Statement:

  • through Medicare online accounts, or the Express Plus Medicare mobile app 
  • by requesting a statement to be posted to them in the mail
  • by asking their vaccine provider to download the statement using their online access facility (called Health Professional Online Services or HPOS)
  • at a local Medicare service centre 
  • by calling the Australian Immunisation Register on 1800 653 809. 

Accessing an AIR Immunisation History Statement online

Parent/carers with a Medicare card number can log in to the Medicare online services website, and print or download a copy of the AIR Immunisation History Statement.

  • Parents/carers will need their Medicare card number.
  • Parents/carers who have not previously registered for online services will need to do so.
  • Visit Medicare online accounts.

Get your immunisation history statement using your Medicare online account. The resource is available in various languages on the Health Translations website.

Requesting a posted AIR Immunisation History Statement

Parents/carers who prefer a posted statement can call the Australian Immunisation Register on 1800 653 809. It can take 14 days to get the statement in the post.

This information is included in the Starting Childcare or Kindergarten brochure, free copies of which can be ordered online. You may wish to provide a copy of this brochure for parents/carers to take away with them.

Provide advice for parents of children immunised overseas or not eligible for Medicare

The parent/carer can get overseas immunisations added to the AIR.

They need to take a translated copy of their child’s overseas immunisation history to a general practitioner (GP) or immunisation nurse.

The GP or nurse will check which vaccines the child has had, and tell the parent/carer if any additional vaccines are required in Australia. They will record vaccines given overseas as well as any new vaccines they give the child on the AIR.

When the child’s immunisations are registered on the AIR (this can take about five days), the parent/carer can ask the GP nurse if they can print an Immunisation History Statement from the AIR for the parent/carer to give to your childcare or kindergarten service.

Alternatively, the parent/carer can call the AIR on 1800 653 809 to check if the child’s immunisations have been recorded and request a statement to be posted to the family. It can take up to 14 days to arrive by post.

A translating and interpreting service is available by calling 131 450, Monday to Friday from 8.30 am to 4.45 pm.

Provide advice on locating an immunisation provider

You can find an immunisation provider in the following ways:

  • Visit the Better Health Channel, and use the ‘Find a health service’ function, choosing ‘Immunisation’ from the drop-down menu.

Local council immunisation services provide vaccinations for free at scheduled times. A quick internet search for ‘immunisation timetable’ and the name of your local council should reveal the dates, times and venues the council plans to hold free community immunisation sessions. Alternatively, you can provide the parent/carer with the contact details of your local council. You can use the Know your council to find the contact details for the local council. 

Assisting parents/carers to enrol under the 16-week grace period

If a child's vaccinations are not up to date for their age, or the parent/carer has not supplied acceptable documentation, they may be eligible for the 16-week grace period.

Children who qualify for the grace period can commence at your service while their parents/carers get the required documentation.

You should keep a copy of the completed Grace period eligibility assessment form as part of the child’s enrolment record.

If a child is enrolled under the grace period, within 16 weeks from when the child begins attending the service, you must take reasonable steps to obtain an acceptable Immunisation History Statement from the parent/carer.

Reasonable steps include:

  • advising parents/carers where they can access immunisation or other support services
  • providing parents/carers with the  Starting childcare or kindergarten brochure (copies of which can be ordered online)
  • providing parents/carers with guidance for obtaining acceptable documentation. 

More information 

See the scenarios and responses section for more ways you can help parents/carers facing particular circumstances. 

Contact details