Management licences typically authorise education and research practices to possess one or more radiation sources.
Applicants seeking a management licence for an education and research practice must meet certain prerequisites prior to being issued with a management licence.
Prerequisites: what information do I include with my application?
All of the following information must be included with your application (electronic files can be attached with your application).
1. Where an application is submitted on behalf of a legal entity -
Where a person is submitting an application for a new Management Licence, an application to vary an existing Management Licence, or a notification on behalf of a legal entity (for example, a company), the person submitting the application or the notification must provide, or have previously provided, the following documents with their application (electronic files can be attached with your application):
- Evidence of identity document that establishes the legal existence of the legal entity - for example, a Certificate of Registration of a Company issued by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission displaying the Australian Company Number.
- Document showing the name of the director of the company - for example, a Current Company Extract issued by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission.
- A letter of authority from the director of the company that both authorises the person to lodge an application for a management licence on behalf of the legal entity and nominates the person to be the contact in relation to the proposed radiation practice(s).
2. Where an application is submitted on behalf of another person -
Where a person is submitting an application for a new Management Licence, an application to vary an existing Management Licence or a notification on behalf of another person, the person submitting the application or the notification must provide, or have previously provided, a letter of authority from the proposed licence holder that (electronic files can be attached with your application):
- authorises the person to lodge an application for a management licence
- nominates the person to be the contact in relation to the proposed radiation practice(s).
3. A detailed description of the radiation practice you seek authority to conduct.
4. An assessment of the minimum amount of shielding that is required in the walls, doors, floor and ceiling of the room in which the radiation source will be installed to ensure that no person receives a radiation dose in excess of the relevant radiation protection limits specified in the Radiation Regulations 2017. This requirement also applies to mobile X-ray units used primarily in one location. The shielding assessment must include the following:
- a floor plan showing the room in which the radiation source will be installed and surrounding rooms
- occupancy factors and purpose of surrounding rooms
- methodology/references used in the assessment
- shielding to the operator's console
- radiation source workloads used in the assessment
- the location of any related equipment - for example, X-ray equipment, tables, controls, protective screens and warning lights.
5. The name of the personal radiation monitoring service (PRMS) provider that you will use and the centre number assigned to you by the provider.
6. Proposed arrangements for the storage of radioisotopes, radiopharmaceuticals and sealed sources.
7. For radioactive sources, a plan outlining how the radioactive source will be disposed of when it is no longer required. For example, there may be documentation from the manufacture or supplier of the radiation source indicating a disposal option at the end of the working life of the radiation source. The proposed disposal pathway must comply with the material in Disposal of radioactive material.
Note that some sealed sources are classified as a high consequence sealed source. There are additional prerequisites in these circumstances.
Conditions of licence and other relevant documents
Licence conditions are applied based on the detail of the radiation practice.
Licence durations, licence fees, assessment process and timeframes
See the General information about management licences in Victoria page.
Apply for a management licence or apply to vary an existing licence
All of the department's forms for applications are on-line forms. The form is completed online and automatically emailed to the department upon submission. Please remember to check what mandatory documents must be included with your application.
Complete the online form: Application for a new management licence
Complete the online form: Application to vary a management licence
Who needs a use licence?
In addition to a management licence, some individuals need a use licence.
If a person intends to use a radiation source then they must apply for a use licence enabling the use of a specific type of radiation source for a specific purpose.
The use of a radiation source without the required use licence is an offence under the Radiation Act 2005.
What is the difference between a management licence and use licence?
For example a dental practice requires a management licence to possess several dental X-ray units. Every individual at that practice who wishes to use those X-ray units needs to hold a use licence authorising that use.
To apply for a use licence please visit the use licence section.