Management licences typically authorise industrial practices to possess one or more cabinet X-ray units.
A cabinet X-ray unit is defined as an X-ray unit in a shielded enclosure (cabinet) which is used for examining items.
Applicants seeking a management licence for an industrial practice must meet certain prerequisites prior to being issued with a management licence.
Prerequisites: what information do I include with my application?
All of the following information must be included with your application (electronic files can be attached with your application).
1. Where an application is submitted on behalf of a legal entity -
Where a person is submitting an application for a new Management Licence, an application to vary an existing Management Licence, or a notification on behalf of a legal entity (for example, a company), the person submitting the application or the notification must provide, or have previously provided, the following documents with their application (electronic files can be attached with your application):
- Evidence of identity document that establishes the legal existence of the legal entity - for example, a Certificate of Registration of a Company issued by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission displaying the Australian Company Number.
- Document showing the name of the director of the company - for example, a Current Company Extract issued by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission.
- A letter of authority from the director of the company that both authorises the person to lodge an application for a management licence on behalf of the legal entity and nominates the person to be the contact in relation to the proposed radiation practice(s).
2. Where an application is submitted on behalf of another person -
Where a person is submitting an application for a new Management Licence, an application to vary an existing Management Licence or a notification on behalf of another person, the person submitting the application or the notification must provide, or have previously provided, a letter of authority from the proposed licence holder that (electronic files can be attached with your application):
- authorises the person to lodge an application for a management licence
- nominates the person to be the contact in relation to the proposed radiation practice(s).
3. Description of how the cabinet X-ray unit will be used.
4. A detailed floor plan showing the areas within the premises where the radiation source will be installed or used (not to scale).
5. Details of training provided to workers in relation to the operation and use of the apparatus.
Conditions of licence and other relevant documents
Compliance with the NHMRC Statement on cabinet X-ray equipment for examination of letters, packages, baggage, freight and other articles for security, quality control and other purposes (1987) is a condition of management licences issued to industrial practices and applicants must be familiar with its requirements.
Licence durations, licence fees, assessment process and timeframes
See the General information about management licences in Victoria page.
Apply for a management licence or apply to vary an existing licence
All of the department's forms for applications are on-line forms. The form is completed online and automatically emailed to the department with attached prerequisites upon submission.
Complete the online form: Application for a new management licence
Complete the online form: Application to vary a management licence
Who needs a use licence?
In addition to a management licence, some individuals need a use licence.
If a person intends to use a radiation source then they must apply for a use licence enabling the use of a specific type of radiation source for a specific purpose.
The use of a radiation source without the required use licence is an offence under the Radiation Act 2005.
What is the difference between a management licence and use licence?
For example a dental practice requires a management licence to possess several dental X-ray units. Every individual at that practice who wishes to use those X-ray units needs to hold a use licence authorising that use.
However, an exemption from the requirement to hold a use licence has been made in the case of cabinet X-ray inspection apparatus used for the examination of letters, packages, baggage, freight and other articles for security and quality control purposes.