Management licences typically authorise the sale of radiation sources.
Applicants seeking a management licence for the sale of radiation sources must meet certain prerequisites prior to being issued with a management licence.
Prerequisites: what information do I include with my application?
All of the following information must be included with your application (electronic files can be attached with your application).
1. Where an application is submitted on behalf of a legal entity:
Where a person is submitting an application for a new Management Licence, an application to vary an existing Management Licence, or a notification on behalf of a legal entity (for example, a company), the person submitting the application or the notification must provide, or have previously provided, the following documents with their application (electronic files can be attached with your application):
- Evidence of identity document that establishes the legal existence of the legal entity - for example, a Certificate of Registration of a Company issued by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission displaying the Australian Company Number.
- Document showing the name of the director of the company - for example, a Current Company Extract issued by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission.
- A letter of authority from the director of the company that both authorises the person to lodge an application for a management licence on behalf of the legal entity and nominates the person to be the contact in relation to the proposed radiation practice(s).
2. Where an application is submitted on behalf of another person:
Where a person is submitting an application for a new Management Licence, an application to vary an existing Management Licence or a notification on behalf of another person, the person submitting the application or the notification must provide, or have previously provided, a letter of authority from the proposed licence holder that (electronic files can be attached with your application):
- authorises the person to lodge an application for a management licence
- nominates the person to be the contact in relation to the proposed radiation practice(s).
3. Detailed description of all types of radiation sources that you are seeking authority to sell.
4. When radioactive material will be stored for the purpose of sale, provide details both of the type of radioactive material and of the maximum activity of the radioactive material
5. Where radioactive material will be stored for any period of time, provide details of the construction and shielding in the walls, doors, floor and ceiling of the storage facility or premises in which the radiation sources will be stored to ensure that no person receives a radiation dose in excess of the relevant radiation protection limits specified in the Radiation Regulations 2017. These details must include shielding calculations.
6. Where radioactive material will be handled, provide the name of the personal radiation monitoring service (PRMS) provider that you will use and the centre number assigned to you by the provider.
7. Where radiation sources will be handled, provide details of training of staff that will be involved in the radiation practice. Note: A separate authorisation will be required if the intention is to also service and/or maintain the radiation sources to be sold, along with training of staff that will be involved in the servicing of the sources.
8. In the case of radioactive material, details of the company that will be transporting the material. For applicants seeking authority to transport radioactive material, please refer to the Transport of radioactive material section.
Note that some sealed sources are classified as a high consequence sealed source. There are additional prerequisites and requirements in these circumstances.
Conditions of licence and other relevant documents
Compliance with the Sale of radiation sources - Management licence holder's obligations, is a condition of management licences authorising the sale of radiation sources and applicants must be familiar with its requirements.
This document outlines the licence holder's obligations relevant to the sale of radiation sources, including X-ray apparatus, radioactive material (other than sealed sources), Radiopharmaceuticals, sealed source apparatus, molybdenum-99/technetium-99.
Where the proposed radiation practice will involve possession of a high consequence sealed source or a high consequence group of sealed sources as defined by the Radiation Act 2005, you will need to provide the documents specified in the section titled Security of high consequence sealed sources.
Licence durations, licence fees, assessment process and timeframes
See the General information about management licences in Victoria page.
Apply for a management licence or apply to vary an existing licence
All of the department's forms for applications are on-line forms. The form is completed online and automatically emailed to the department upon submission. Please remember to check what mandatory documents must be included with your application.
Complete the online form: Application for a new management
Complete the online form: Application to vary a management