Where an existing cooling tower system is no longer required, the following actions should be taken:
- Drain the cooling tower system to the sewer, in accordance with any advice from the local water authority.
- Remove chemical dosing tanks.
- Disconnect the power supply to the system.
- Disconnect the water supply to the system.
- Remove the tower and preferably the other components of the system. Where this is not practical, place a sign on the tower indicating that the system must not be reactivated.
The department must be notified within 30 days that a cooling tower system has been decommissioned. This can be done using a form, which can be downloaded from this page.