There are a number of ways you can provide feedback or make a complaint about the services that the department funds and provides.

Complaints to the Department of Health

If you would like to provide feedback about the Department of Health you are able to lodge a formal complaint online. Alternatively you can send your feedback via mail to: 

Health Feedback, 
GPO Box 4057, 
Melbourne, Victoria 3000. 

Hospital or health service complaints

If you have feedback relating to a Victorian public health service, you should contact the patient representative or consumer liaison officer at the relevant hospital. All Victorian health services have patient representatives available to answer queries or address concerns. Patient representatives can be contacted by phoning general hospital enquiries contact numbers.

To find hospital contact information, see list of Public hospital websites in Victoria

Unresolved health and mental health complaints

The Victorian Government has a number of avenues for complaint resolution if you are dissatisfied with your service provider’s response.

Health Complaints Commissioner (HCC)

The HCC is an independent statutory authority established to receive and resolve complaints about health service providers. You can make a written complaint to the HCC. If you need help to put your complaint in writing, ring the HCC telephone advice line: 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday on toll free telephone number 1300 582 113. For more information go to the Health Complaints Commissioner website.

Mental Health Complaints Commissioner (MHCC)

If you have a complaint about a public mental health service in Victoria the MHCC can assist you.  They can help you write your complaint, will discuss your options and they may be able to help you raise your concern directly with the service if appropriate. The MHCC can be contacted on 1800 246 054. Go to the Mental Health Complaints Commissioner site for more information.

Aged Care Complaints Commissioner

Aged care homes are owned and operated by individuals and organisations that have Commonwealth Government approval to provide residential care. If you have a complaints refer to the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner.

Cemeteries and crematoria

If you have a complaint regarding cemeteries and crematoria policy or practice refer to the Cemeteries and crematoria complaints.

Private hospitals, day procedure centres and bush nursing hospitals

If you have a complaint about privates hospitals, day procedures or bush nursing hospitals please refer to the Complaints about private health facilities.

Supported residential services

If you have a complaint about supported residential services please refer to the Provide feedback about a SRS.

Complaints about procurement

Department of Health and Human Services procurement

If you have a complaint about a departmental procurement process (e.g. tender or request for quote process conducted by the department) please refer to the Procurement policies page on the Department of Health and Human Services website.

Health service procurement

If you have a complaint about a Victorian Public Health Service procurement process you should contact the respective health service in the first instance. If the complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may write to the Secretary of the Department of Health & Human Services.

Health Purchasing Victoria (HPV)

If you have a complaint about a procurement process that is managed through Health Purchasing Victoria, please refer to the complaints process on the HPV website. 

Other complaints

You may also consider calling:

  • Victorian Ombudsman - deals with complaints concerning actions of Victorian government departments.
  • Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission (VEOHRC) - for complaints concerning discrimination on the grounds of disability, sex, race, age, industrial activity, marital, parental or carer status, political or religious beliefs, sexual orientation or pregnancy. The Commission will assist people to prepare statements and to lodge a complaint.
  • Office of the Public Advocate (OPA) - represents the interests of Victorian people with a disability.
  • Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) - manages the registration process for health practitioners around Australia and receives notifications (complaints) in relation to investigations into the professional conduct, performance or health of registered health practitioners.

Website feedback

To provide us feedback about our website, please use the Feedback form.