Healthy choices: food and drink guidelines for Victorian public hospitals provide a voluntary framework for improving the availability, display and promotion of healthier foods and drinks available on hospital grounds. Although the guidelines are voluntary, all hospitals are encouraged to implement these guidelines.
The guidelines aim to make healthy food choices the easy choice and provide information on:
- healthier food and drink choices
- criteria to identify food and drinks that should be limited
- improving the availability and promotion of healthier choices
- limiting the availability and promotion of unhealthy food and drinks.
The guidelines apply to retail outlets such as cafeterias, cafes, coffee shops, canteens, mobile kiosks and vending machines on hospital premises. The guidelines do not apply to inpatient, client or aged-care resident meals.
The toolkit includes practical tips and advice for health services to implement the guidelines, including:
- help with assessing the current situation
- help to plan changes and develop healthy alternatives
- advice on maintaining the momentum and reviewing progress
- recipes and practical food ideas.