The department has developed an easy-to-use, simplified food safety program template for class 2 premises – the Food safety program template for class 2 retail and food service businesses no. 1 version 3. This template features:
- shorter, simpler records
- improved instructions about how to handle food safely
- updated information on allergies and labelling
- instructions about handling raw eggs and raw egg products
- up-to-date information for food vans and stalls.
This template can be used by several types of class 2 premises, including cafes and restaurants. A business with multiple associated class 2 food premises can also use it for all their class 2 activities, such as:
- a restaurant that also provides off-site catering
- a business that prepares food at a permanent site and sells it from a stall at markets.
For those businesses using the department's Food Safety Program Template no. 1 version 2, you are still able to continue using it until notified.
Check for updates on the FSANZ website for warnings and advisory declarations. For example, on 25 May 2017, the Food Standards Code was changed to require lupin to be declared when present as an ingredient in food or component of ingredients including food additives and processing aids. There is a 12 month transition period to allow food businesses time to comply with the mandatory declaration, however, from 26 May 2018, all foods must comply with the new requirement.