A food business is any organisation that sells food or drink.

In Victoria, all food businesses must be registered through their local council and follow regulations to ensure that the food they sell is safe to eat.

A small number of businesses do not need to register with their council, but the council still must be informed of their activities.

If you want to start a food business, you must contact your local council. They will classify your food business, explain what your requirements are under that classification and inform you of anything else you need to do.

Council can also give you advice on starting your business and setting up or buying your new food premises, and help you through the building or purchasing process.

Contact details