The Department of Health and Human Services Water Program helps protect Victorians from water hazards. We administer drinking water regulation, inform state and national policy, and raise awareness through education and guidance.
We produce a quarterly newsletter to keep water businesses up to date. We also produce the department's annual report on drinking water quality. The Water Program:
- oversees compliance with the Safe Drinking Water Act 2003 and associated regulations
- endorses Class A recycled water schemes
- conducts technical appraisal of fluoridation plants
- informs policy as it relates to the public health aspects of water quality
- oversees the Victorian water fluoridation program under the Health (Fluoridation) Act 1973
- supports the Chief Health Officer in administering the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 as it pertains to to blue-green algae, aquatic facilities, recreational water and private drinking water supplies.