Each year the Department of Health & Human Services reviews the data elements and format of its key health services data collections. This review - the annual change process - seeks to ensure that health data collected in Victoria:
- supports the department's state and national reporting obligations
- assists planning and policy development
- reflects changes in hospital funding and service provision arrangements for the coming financial year
- incorporates appropriate feedback from data providers on improvements.
The annual change process is managed by the Health Services Data and is governed by the Department's Annual Changes Governance Committee (ACGC).
The annual change process
- The first step is a call for proposals. Submitted proposals undergo an initial review by departmental staff to ensure quality and completeness of the documentation, prior to submission to the ACGC.
- Each proposal is assessed against a set of best practice and standard information management principles.
- Following initial consideration by the ACGC, and any resulting amendment to the documents, all accepted proposals are compiled into a proposals document - one for each data collection.
- The proposals documents are distributed to all Victorian hospitals (through the Health Data Standards and Systems Bulletin distribution list), patient management system suppliers known to have Victorian clients, and to a range of industry bodies.
- The proposals documents outline the proposed changes to each data collection and are used to stimulate discussion within the health industry.
Annual changes are approved by the Deputy Secretary, Health and Wellbeing Division based upon recommendations by the ACGC.
The approved changes are published as specifications for revisions no later than 31 December each year for implementation by 1 July of the following year.
Notification of any additional changes is published in the HDSS Bulletin
Proposals and specifications 2021-2022
- Changes originally scheduled for implementation in 2020-21 that were deferred due to the COVID-19 response. These changes will now be implemented for 1 July 2021. These documents are available now.
- There were no AIMS changes deferred to 2021-22. Any AIMS changes for 2021-22 will be published according to the Part B schedule.
- Changes resulting from the 2021-22 annual changes process. These changes will also be implemented for 1 July 2021.
- Proposals documents to be published on this page by the end of October 2020.
- Final specifications (Part B) to be made available by 31 December 2020.
Specifications for revisions to Victorian Admitted Episodes Dataset (VAED) for 2021-22: Part A
Specifications for revisions to Victorian Emergency Minimum Dataset (VEMD) for 2021-22: Part A
Specifications for revisions to Elective Surgery Information System (ESIS) for 2021-22: Part A
Specifications for revisions to Victorian Integrated Non-Admitted Health Minimum Dataset (VINAH) for 2021-22: Part A
Feedback to proposals for revisions for 2021-22
Proposals for revisions to the Elective Surgery Information System (ESIS) for 2021-22
Proposals for revisions to the Victorian Admitted Episodes Dataset (VAED) for 2021-22
Proposals for revisions to the Victorian Emergency Minimum Dataset (VEMD) for 2021-22
Proposals for revisions to the Victorian Integrated Non-Admitted Health Minimum Dataset (VINAH) for 2021-22
For last year's revision, visit Annual changes archive. For earlier years, visit HDSS archive.