The Department of Health & Human Services Policy and funding guidelines, July 2016 consists of three volumes:
- Volume 1: Department of Health & Human Services overview
- Volume 2: Health operations 2016-17
- Volume 3: Human services policy and funding plan 2015--19
Volume 1: Department of Health & Human Services overview
The Department of Health & Human Services was established on 1 January 2015, bringing together the functions of health, human services and sport and recreation.
Our vision is to improve social and economic outcomes through programs designed to enhance the wellbeing of Victorians.
We know that all Victorians will come into contact with health and social services at some point in their lives and that there are critical links between wellbeing, vulnerability and social inclusion.
The health system provides universal healthcare for all, while community services provide targeted assistance to disadvantaged and vulnerable Victorians. Community services also play an important role in building cohesive and supportive communities that offer opportunities for participation.
The combined effort of these service systems working together can drive positive long-term change for individuals and families, particularly those with multiple and complex needs that span issues such as mental health, housing, drugs and alcohol, chronic health conditions and disability.
By working together, we will strive to build stronger functional, policy and service delivery connections to support the health and wellbeing of all Victorians, no matter what their personal circumstances or stage of life.
The Department of Health & Human Services policy and funding guidelines for 2016 overview provides information about the department, its ministers and the 2016 budget overview.
Volume 2: Health operations 2016–17
Volume 2: Health operations 2016-17 details the performance and financial framework within which state government-funded health sector entities operate.
This volume, colour-coded red, applies to all organisations funded by the former Department of Health.
There are four chapters to Volume 2:
- Chapter 1: 'Overview, key changes and new initiatives' provides an overview of the accountability framework for funded organisations and introduces the most significant developments in funding, policy, government priorities and service delivery for the coming year.
- Chapter 2: 'Funding arrangements for Victoria's health system' details the funding arrangements for public hospital services and for all other outputs provided by the department.
- Chapter 3: 'Pricing arrangements for Victoria's health system' details the pricing arrangements for public hospital services and for all other outputs provided by the department.
- Chapter 4: 'Conditions of funding' details the relevant standards and policies that apply in order for funded organisations to receive health related funding from the Victorian Government.
- Chapter 5: 'Funding and activity levels' provides budget and activity tables for 2016--17.
Volume 2: Health operations 2016-17 (the guidelines) represent the system-wide terms and conditions (for funding, administrative and clinical policy) of funding for government-funded healthcare organisations.
The guidelines reflect the government and department's role as a system manager and underpin the contracts at an organisational level (Statements of priorities (SoPs) and service agreements). They set out the requirements that funded organisations must comply with in addition to their contractual and statutory obligations, outline activity that is required in order to receive funding, and detail expectations of administrative and clinical conduct.
The guidelines are relevant for all funded organisations including health services, community service organisations (CSOs) and other funded organisations such as Ambulance Victoria.
Volume 3: Human services policy and funding plan 2015–19
The Human services policy and funding plan 2015-19 provides funded organisations and departmental staff with information about the department’s policy framework, objectives, budget, service deliverables, desired outcomes, reporting requirements, program guidelines and funding initiatives. This volume, colour-coded green, applies to all organisations funded by the former Department of Human Services.
Volume 3 is listed as an applicable departmental policy in Schedule 1 of the Service agreement form of the Common funding agreement. Schedule 1 also lists policy documents applicable to the services for which your organisation is funded. You can view these policies by logging on to the 'Service Agreement' module of the Funded Agency Channel, selecting your service agreement and selecting the lower level tab called 'Service Standard Guidelines'. Links are available from that tab to applicable policy documents.
There are four chapters to Volume 3: Human services policy and funding plan 2015-19:
- Chapter 1: Overview and key initiatives
Chapter 2: Human services output budget Information and unit prices
Chapter 3: Operational and program policies
Chapter 4: Activity descriptions.