With the establishment of the Department of Health & Human Services, the department is responsible for two key policy and funding documents: the former Department of Health annual Victorian health policy and funding guidelines and the former Department of Human Services policy and funding plan 2012–15 (which included annual updates).
The Department of Health & Human Services Policy and funding guidelines, July 2015 consists of three volumes:
- Volume 1: Department of Health & Human Services overview
- Volume 2: Health operations 2015–16 (former Department of Health Victorian health policy and funding guidelines)
- Volume 3: Human services policy and funding plan 2015–18 (former Department of Human Services policy and funding plan).
Volume 1: Department of Health & Human Services overview
The department develops and delivers policies, programs and services that support and enhance the wellbeing of all Victorians.
With its service partners and the community, the department provides services and support to:
- help Victorians to be as healthy as they can be
- assist people to access opportunities that lead to positive, fulfilling lives
- build people’s capacity to participate in social, economic and community life
- contribute to a society that is inclusive, provides fair access to opportunities for all, and in which health and social inequality is minimised
- provide services and protection for the most vulnerable members of society
- build resilience to overcome the challenges that communities and individuals face.
The Department of Health & Human Services policy and funding guidelines for 2015 overview provides information about the department, its ministers and the 2015 budget overview.
Volume 2: Health operations 2015–16
Volume 2: Health operations 2015–16 details the performance and financial framework within which state government-funded health sector entities operate.
This volume, colour-coded red, applies to all organisations funded by the former Department of Health.
There are four chapters to Volume 2:
- Chapter 1: ‘Overview, key changes and new initiatives’ provides an overview of the accountability framework for funded organisations and introduces the most significant developments in funding, policy, government priorities and service delivery for the coming year.
- Chapter 2: ‘Pricing and funding arrangements for Victoria’s health system’ details the pricing and funding arrangements for public hospital services and for all other outputs provided by the department.
- Chapter 3: ‘Conditions of funding’ details the relevant standards and policies that apply in order for funded organisations to receive health related funding from the Victorian Government.
- Chapter 4: ‘Funding and activity levels’ provides budget and activity tables for 2015–16.
Volume 2: Health operations 2015–16 (the guidelines) represent the system-wide terms and conditions (for funding, administrative and clinical policy) of funding for government-funded healthcare organisations.
The guidelines reflect the government and department’s role as a system manager and underpin the contracts at an organisational level (Statements of priorities (SoPs) and service agreements). They set out the requirements that funded organisations must comply with in addition to their contractual and statutory obligations, outline activity that is required in order to receive funding, and detail expectations of administrative and clinical conduct.
The guidelines are relevant for all funded organisations including health services, community service organisations (CSOs) and other funded organisations such as Ambulance Victoria.
Volume 3: Human services policy and funding plan 2015–18
The Human services policy and funding plan 2015–18 provides funded organisations and departmental staff with information about the department’s policy framework, objectives, budget, service deliverables, desired outcomes, reporting requirements, program guidelines and funding initiatives. This volume, colour-coded green, applies to all organisations funded by the former Department of Human Services.
Volume 3 is listed as an applicable departmental policy in Schedule 1 of the Service agreement form of the Common funding agreement. Schedule 1 also lists policy documents applicable to the services for which your organisation is funded. You can view these policies by logging on to the ‘Service Agreement’ module of the Funded Agency Channel, selecting your service agreement and selecting the lower level tab called ‘Service Standard Guidelines’. Links are available from that tab to applicable policy documents.
There are four chapters to Volume 3: Human services policy and funding plan 2015–18:
- Chapter 1: Overview and key initiatives
Chapter 2: Human services output budget Information and unit prices
Chapter 3: Operational and program policies
Chapter 4: Activity descriptions.